Monday, November 03, 2008

Finally - the big day!

Don't forget to vote!

No matter who steals, I mean wins the election this year, I will just be happy that the Obamarama Lovefest 08 will finally come to a close. Thanks be to Jehovah -- or whomever, I don't really care - just please, someone in the universe (anyone!) make it stop already!

So that once again, I can read the newspaper without screaming out loud. At least from time to time - I suppose I get kind of cranky even when it isn't an election year.

On behalf of all the journalists I've hated for the past several months, I just want to acknowledge that I understand no one thought it possible for GW to be elected to a second term, so by God, no one wanted to take a chance that a republican get into office again by, say, reporting the facts, simply the facts, this time around. But still, that we live in a country with a media that is willing to act as a mouthpiece for the government, as it did when it spouted all of the propaganda for beginning the Iraq war, and again as it has now to campaign for Obama - is far more frightening to me than the prospect of John McCain as president.

Did I just say that?

I did. And I mean it. (For laughs, Kristol tells us why we needn't fear McCain.)

But tomorrow it will all be over and everyone can either weep for Obama or realize that he's just a politician like all the rest and not likely to deliver the salvation everyone seems to be seeking. And the media can finally utter a critical word and everybody can complain about what a bad job he's doing -- I just can't wait! Well, sort of. With any luck he might be able to keep us from financial collapse and a 100 year war, and just maybe he'll sign some equal pay legislation and perhaps a small bit of health care reform (assuming he knows how to squeeze blood from a proverbial turnip) - but whatever happens it probably won't look all that spectacular, and I will relish the eradication of the Collective Obama Infatuation Syndrome.

Although, someone was obviously after my heart when they wrote this story about Obama -- had I known he is superstitious early on, I might have been in love with him all these months too!

Am I doom and gloom or what? I should start a church! But seriously, vote. Not that our beloved Obama needs your help -- he's so perfect surely he'll win regardless, but really I mean it - vote. It's your right and your civic duty.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Staci, I'm trying to get in touch with you but I don't see a "contact me" link. I know you are in Portland, but I was wondering if you could post something on a Parenting / Mothering event we are having. Again, sorry for adding this as a comment, but I didn't see your email address anywhere.

If you have any questions you can email me: Lisa@ParadigmShiftNYC.com

“Feminism and Motherhood” with Amy Richards, Activist & Author An Intimate and Empowering Discussion

Paradigm Shift, New York City’s Feminist
Community, (rated “Critics Pick” & “Best By Day” by TimeOut NY) proudly present “Feminism & Motherhood”, an intimate discussion with Amy Richards, Activist, Third Wave Feminist Icon, and author of “Opting In: Having a Child Without Losing Yourself”. We welcome you to invite your mothers and children for this insightful and empowering evening.

Wednesday, November 19th, 7:00 PM at People Lounge- 2nd Floor, 163 Allen St., New York, NY. Purchasing tickets in advance is highly recommended, this event will sell out: $7 in advance, $10 at door, online ticket sales: www.ParadigmShiftNYC.com.

Anjali said...

I love that you aren't afraid to be critical of a candidate you are voting for. Such a rare, rare thing!

Great post.

Bihter said...

Hi Staci,

I really enjoy your blog. I watched an author named Christopher Flett on the Today Show, he wrote a book called "What Men Don't Tell Women About Business" and it shares secrets for women working in business. I thought you might enjoy hearing about him. There could be some great content in their for future posts.

Keep up the great work.

Sincerely,

Bihter

Bihter said...

Hi Staci,

The author, Christopher Flett, was featured in the NY Times regarding women keeping their careers on track while having their family. His book, "What Men Don't Tell Women About Business" was sold out at the Barnes and Noble I went to so I ordered it at Amazon. I read a lot of blogs and he seems to be popular.

I wish someone would interview him about how to stay OFF the mommy track. Why don't you interview him and post it on your blog? I saw that he was a guest commentator on "the Juggle" (Wall Street Journal). His email listed there was chris@ghostceo.com I checked out his website and it looks pretty good.

Anyway, keep up the great topics.

Best,

Bihter.

sarah said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.



Sarah

http://www.thetreadmillguide.com