Thursday, May 01, 2008

Why Democrats Should Nominate Hillary Clinton

All along I’ve said that Hillary Clinton will have a much better shot in the general election than Barack Obama, and I’m surprised by the number of people who claim to disagree with me. I’ve read some opinions that indicate people think race is easier to overcome as an “issue” than gender, but I don’t think Obama’s problem is that he’s biracial (or even that he has an Arabic middle name). For instance, if Colin Powell were running for president I’d say he might have a shot. It’s Obama’s politics that are going to be difficult to sell to the general public when the competition expands beyond average Democrats and extreme-left-leaning Democrats.
I asked two registered Republicans who they think will be the easiest candidate for McCain to beat, and they both said Obama. I know that doesn’t constitute a study (though it often suffices for the sake of Internet squabbles), but that doesn’t mean it’s not true. Still, my reasons for thinking Clinton has a better chance against McCain aren’t anecdotal in nature. Obama doesn’t have any ammunition with which to spin his progressive ideas into something that will look more similar to McCain’s. Politics is a game of appealing to the masses – and Clinton is going to be much better positioned to pull that off in the end.
You can read the rest of my opinion here. Be sure to read all the comments, especially if you weren't already aware that I'm an idiot -- you never know when that kind of knowledge could come in handy.

2 comments:

Mommy Brain said...

I think what concerns me most in the Obama vs Hillary choice is that in some poll I read in our regional newspaper said that 63% of Obama supporters said they would still support Hillary if she won BUT only 51% of Hillary supporters said they would support Obama. Hillary seems to attract a lot of older Republicans who feel that McCain is too old to be president but would not vote for Obama.

Staci Schoff said...

That's an interesting point about age -- I was just reading that there's speculation that Clinton is receiving the majority of the Catholic vote because Catholics correlate leadership ability with age. I have NO IDEA how or why that assumption about Catholics as a demographic has been determined, but it's interesting...

Indiana is my home state -- I hope they won't let me down tomorrow!