Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Mothers Day Medley - With Attitude

If you're sick of hearing about Hillary, I promise it's only two little paragraphs and I'll make it worth your while to suffer through them. Trust me!

On Saturday I took my kids to a Hillary Clinton rally. She's not going to win Oregon, but I wanted to let her know that some of us wish she would. After five minutes or so of listening to Sophie Hawkins tell us the story of how she's met Bill, Hillary and Chelsea and how great she thinks they all are J said, "When are we leaving?"

So I had to shamelessly bribe them with a trip to Slutbucks (what the hell is wrong with some people?) if they would just be patient and clap for Hillary with Mama. It was a kid friendly event though and they left with flags and kazoos, headbands and tattoos -- but clearly they aren't as passionate about the issues as I am.

Cute though, right?

Okay, I'm done with Hillary, now on to my favorite subject -- me! I'm taking a very interesting class this term and I wanted to share this marvelous and hilarious essay called, "You Are an Awful Parent." It originally appeared in The Sun Magazine, but isn't available there online. Oh and so you can sympathize, my assignment is to pick a broad topic and write about it in a similar manner. Wish me luck.
Last but not least, here's a quote about motherhood that sums up my experience and feelings on the matter perfectly - and definitely more succinctly than I ever could:
"Motherhood brings as much joy as ever, but it still brings boredom, exhaustion, and sorrow too. Nothing else ever will make you as happy or as sad, as proud or as tired, for nothing is quite as hard as helping a person develop his own individuality especially while you struggle to keep your own." -- Marguerite Kelly and Elia Parsons
Amen sisters. Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers, grandmothers, stepmothers, godmothers, just-like-mothers, future mothers and anyone else I left out.

5 comments:

KrisUnderwood said...

Yep. That quote sums it up. Glad someone else can say motherhood can sometimes be boring and exhausting.

I said I was bored once to a friend of mine. She responded with 'How can you be bored?'

She had kids too.

Mocha said...

GREAT article. I read it all and came back to say I hope your Mother's day was awesome and that you experienced some for of the good parenting part. Like, someone else doing the dusting or something.

radical mama said...

Very cute, indeed!

Love that quote.

Ms Picket To You said...

Amen. This is my 8th mother's day and the quote and that essay resonate even more now.

fudgelady said...

That essay is classic! Thanks for the link.

Have you also read Anne Lamott's "Operating Instructions"? Another wonderful warts-and-all read about motherhood.