Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Go Hillary!

All along I’ve picked Hillary and McCain as the two best possible candidates, and last week I saw the New York Times Editorial Board agrees with me. See? Further evidence they should just offer me a job already.

It seems that most of the blog love out there goes to Obama (not that there’s anything wrong with him) or Edwards (not that there’s anything wrong with him either), and I wanted to stand up for Hillary for a second. She might be “slick” and calculated and seasoned and rich and well-versed in how to behave during a political campaign, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t the best person for the job.

Radical Mama linked to the most absurd woman who said that even feminists couldn’t possibly support Hillary Clinton after the way she stood by her philandering schmuck of a man. Indeed I have some girlfriends who say they don’t respect her because of that. But the girls about whom I speak are republicans so I’m going to willfully ignore their opinions as obviously misinformed. (Just kidding girls!)

And people often get incredulous with me, saying that feminists shouldn’t have supported Bill Clinton the womanizer. To all of you I say this: Feminists (by my humble definition) do not concern themselves with where individual men put their johnsons (or even their cigars), assuming they didn’t put them there against the receiver’s will (and, of course, assuming the receiver had the capacity and maturity required to consent). What feminists do care about in a political candidate is that he (or she) is likely to create and support policies and laws that are conducive to equal opportunity and equal protection under the law for ALL.

In other words, unless Bill Clinton is sleeping with me (and he isn’t, in case you were wondering, though I do think he’s sort of cute), I couldn’t care less who all he IS sleeping with. I mean grow up already and get a life if you’re really that absorbed with worry about the sex lives of people you don’t know.

And while we’re on the subject, get over Hillary’s decision to stay with him, whatever her motivation. Like everyone else I assume her motivation was largely political, but maybe she and Bill have a comfortable friendship of sorts after all these years or maybe she didn’t feel like being a fifty-something famous divorced female senator. Who knows – but if she’s a good leader and she supports sound policy, what difference does it make?

I seriously fear if Hillary loses the nomination, because I don’t think Obama or Edwards have a chance in the general election for a variety of reasons. I sort of wish I was a registered republican right now so I could vote for McCain in the primaries – at least I could affect the outcome of the general election by nominating the least hideous republican candidate – who will win if Democrats decide to get all gooey and shoot themselves in the idealistic foot.

Go Hillary!

15 comments:

landismom said...

I totally agree--it's nobody's business but Hillary's that she decided to stay with Bill, and it doesn't really affect my opinion of her as a person. And certainly, if having difficult family relationships were enough to disqualify one for elected office, there wouldn't be anyone in it at all.

cce said...

I sort of wish McCain would lose the nomination. I think it'll be easier for us Democrats to beat Romney or Huckabee or Guiliani. McCain is going to be a tough opponent for wither Obama or Clinton. I wince, I whisper profanities. I am afraid of another Republican run executive branch.

SUEB0B said...

I don't like her. I think she and her machine will do ANYTHING to get elected and that scares me. Dynasty also scares me. Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton and then what in 2012? Will Jeb Bush run? I think we need to mix it up.

Mommy Brain said...

Yay! And I thought I was the only Hillary fan in the bloggy world. I respect her for standing by her husband. I think in a world where 50% of marriages end in divorce it was nice to see a couple work through their problems. Reading her autobiography (Living History) really moved me from on the fence to a Hillary fan. I think that she has the most experience in the global setting and that after our current administration we really need someone like her.

ByJane said...

Well, that's one blog post I don't have to write, since you said it SO WELL!

Melissa said...

Go Hillary? Go Staci!

I hear SueBob's point, but I also think Hillary had the chance to learn from the mistakes of the last Clinton presidency, which might make her better able to hit the ground running, so to speak.

And I like Mommy Brain's point about global experience; I think we also need to consider which candidate will be able to most readily garner international respect. Not sure who that is (and certainly it will depend on their attitudes and actions upon taking office), but I still think it's worthy of consideration.

Staci Schoff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Staci Schoff said...

I see Suebob's point too -- and I don't even disagree. But I don't think Obama or Edwards or any other politician is any different from Clinton in that regard.

Obama is fine for certain, but he's still a politician, not a saint.

Anjali said...

Great post, Staci, and a very convincing one, considering I have to decide by Tuesday!

radical mama said...

It's taken me a while to come around to Hillary, but I think she means business and I think she is someone who can actually get things done. I think she learned a lot from her last attempt at health care and won't make the same mistakes this time around. No one else has that kind of experience.

I would disagree with your tactics about voting Republic though. I think I would have voted for someone so hideous even Republicans wouldn't vote for them. Tough decision, that one.

fudgelady said...

Great post! I'm one of those who has had a problem with Hillary staying with her philandering hubby -- but you're right that it's her call and her problem.

Anyway, my guy dropped out today, so now I have to check out Clinton and Obama in more detail. Either way, though, I do agree that McCain is a formidable opponent. This is going to be one nail-biter of an election.

jennifer h said...

It's taken me a while to warm up to Hillary, but now that Edwards is out (*sniff*), she's my pick. As for her staying with her husband, I was impressed by that, whatever her reasons. I think it was an objective decision, not an emotional one, and that bodes well for her abilities to make hard decisions.

In thinking of the candidates in the job as president, I am more easily able to see her talking with other heads of state than any other candidate.

I'm praying Romney gets the Republican nomination, since I think a Democrat has a better chance of defeating him. Fingers crossed.

Miguelina. said...

I'm for Hillary too!

kevin said...

Presidential candidates make their views public on such hot issues as abortion, capital punishment, immigration, and the economy. Do we really have to stoop so low as to look to their marriage or how they worship in their own pew in order to come up with a reason to not life them? I also think this is just plain silly.

280main said...

Oh, I wish I had seen this when you first wrote it. Less time feeling like the only one who doesn't give a damn about their marriage...be it a political partnership or passionate love affair. I will show your post next time I have this argument with someone instead of just repeating, "But why should I CARE?" as you've responded quite a bit more eloquently than that--particularly with your feminist argument. Thank you!