Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Crossing the Point of Absurdity

I have been meaning to blog for going on three weeks now. And yes, I know that waiting three weeks to create a blog post that says, "I really should update this blog, but I'm not going to" is ridiculous.

It's not for lack of content. In fact, I've been doing a lot of writing. A lot more than is common and normal for me. So I have much to say, but it's all in "Dear Diary" format at the moment, and I'm just not in a frame of mind to edit it.

So, for the curious, here's why I'm so far gone. First, I started working full time and my Little One started preschool full time for the first time ever. And according to all, he's happy when nanny or Daddy drop him off and pick him up -- but when Mama drops him off or picks him up, it is Guilt Madness. At all other times he enthusiastically relates to me what he ate, who he played with, what was funny, what he made, etcetera -- even in the car on the way there. But once he and I are standing in the school together -- it's all sad-face and tears. It's a sad drive to work for Mama on those days.

Another reason is that last weekend we took the kids camping and I caught pneumonia. Or maybe it's a cold, and I just have a flair for drama. While we ate hot dogs and marshmallows, I read "Living Nutrition" Magazine. My husband picked it up and said, "Staci -- looking at this guy does NOT inspire me to make any lifestyle changes, so don't get any ideas!"

"Doesn't he look serene?" I asked, "And peaceful?"

He narrowed his brow and took a closer look, "He just looks weak," he said, handing the magazine back to me.

Which is fine, because I've tried to eat nothing but raw food before (once I lasted slightly more than 48 hours even), and even though I'm sort of enamored of the idea, I'm also enamored of coffee and cheese and beer and chocolate and wine and -- well -- food in general, I suppose.

The important thing is that I was entertained while my kids spent 12 hours straight throwing rocks. (Such fun for 4 and 6 year old boys to be in the middle of nowhere.) And while my husband spent 12 hours wading through freezing cold water to find crawdads to boil and eat. (Such fun for a 39 year old boy to play "hunter-gatherer." )

There's more. So much more! And I'm going to post it one of these days. And I'm going to visit all of you who I normally visit but haven't in three weeks. I mean it. Please come back!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Give a boy a pile of rocks and he's content for a day.

Hope the pneumonia abates soon. I have no doubt that it really is pneumonia and not a cold. I myself am often afficted with the plague.

SUEB0B said...

You work full time, have 2 kids and can't find the time to blog? What the hell is the matter with you? Do you expect to get sleep every single night or something??

(Joking, of course. I admire you for blogging as much as you do!)

radical mama said...

Say no to the raw food!

Life without beer is no life at all.

Mama's Moon said...

It never fails to amaze me what'll entertain both the kiddos and the boy-witin-the-man I married.

I hope you get better soon. Nothing worse than a rundown mommy feeling guilty over dropping a little one at school.