Thursday, July 26, 2007

I Made it to BlogHer

I am in Chicago -- and I'm slightly tipsy, so forgive me if I slur or otherwise behave in an unladylike manner.

The good news is, I bonded with the taxi cab driver tonight -- when I arrived I looked at my cell phone and saw that it had automatically changed time zones. "How did it know?!" I screeched to the driver. And can you believe, he shared my amazement? Just when I thought I was the last person on the planet who's totally floored by modern technology -there he was. Echoing me with an enthusiastic, "It's amazing!"

The bad news is my four-year-old ripped my heart out when I was leaving this morning. A simple, "good-bye Mama" would have been fine. But no. And it didn't help that the nanny was standing over us while I was trying to comfort him (and trying not to let him get boogers, tears or saliva all over my shirt) saying, "Do you think he's going to miss you?????"

Ummm -- yes. I do. And I'm going to miss him too, but do we have to go on and on about it just as I'm walking out the door? Actually, to be honest, I wasn't going to miss him all that much (it's only 2 days for gods sake!), but now that he guilted me into it, I miss him dreadfully.

I suppose that's to be expected, but the crazy thing is, that it cast a darkness over my whole day beyond what was normal. Like I ran upstairs and put on a Virgin Mary medal, feeling like surely my plane will crash or something and I'll never get to come home -- I'll probably lose my luggage and that's if I don't die on the highway driving to the airport. And on and on. On my way out, I e-mailed a friend saying, "if you never hear from me again... blah blah blah."

Hopefully she's not organizing an intervention or anything, because I'm feeling much better and more positive now. Really. But I do miss my little guys.

Oh yeah, and I met several fabulous blogHers tonight while I was drinking my dinner. I did not meet Dooce, however. So stop bugging me about it (you know who you are). And here is my profound pre-BlogHer conference observation before I say goodnight: Everyone I met is much much much shorter than I'd envisioned them to be. What is up with that? Why does everyone seem so gigantic to me on the internet?

But now I should sleep, in hopes that I won't look like holy hell tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anjali said...

We'll be looking for a summary when you return! Have a wonderful (guilt-free) time!

Mom101 said...

I'm sorry to have disappointed you with my 5'5" stature and my softspoken voice, as you put it. I will try to be taller and louder next time.

Still, it was great to meet the woman behind the awesome essays at last.

Busy Mom said...

Heh, I was thinking most people were taller than I thought they'd be!