Sunday, May 06, 2007

So Many Topics, So Little Time

I've been such a slacker lately that when I sat down to blog this morning I just had so many topics in my head I couldn't decide what to write about. Here's a short list of options:

1. How to lose a Nanny in 3 weeks

2. How I almost became a vegan this week - until those crazy vegans killed their baby

3. What law of the universe is at work when for months I can't find a job, but now that I've found one I've received two addiditional un-solicited offers

4. The History of Earthworms


I know you're thinking -- Oh my God I totally hope she picks the earthworms! But I think I'll save that one for another day -- in the (very very very) distant future. Instead I have a couple of petitions that I hope everyone will take a minute to sign and then I have something I came across while researching the history of eye cream last week that might amuse (or perhaps annoy) you.


In the first petition join NOW in telling congress that mothers and otherwise unpaid caregivers matter!


Also NOW is petitioning the media to stop sexist coverage of the presidential campaign and further to remember it's a presidential election, not America's Next Top Model. Is Hillary too manly? Is John Edwards too effeminate? Does Michelle Obama wear the pants at home? Is Al Gore too chubby to be a good president? Tell the media we're looking for someone who supports good policy, not who has the best hair stylist.

"Take Action NOW, before another candidate lands in the White House because the press says they might be fun to have a beer with!"


In keeping with the feminist nature of this post, while I was writing an article on the history of eye cream, I came across this beauty guide from the nineteenth century. I hadn't heard of this woman before, but I found her story very fascinating. Particularly since she vaguely reminded me of one of those modern day anti-feminists -- you know, the ones who are independent and have created for themselves very lucrative careers telling other women that they should NOT do the same. Only she is more complex (and far less vile) then Ann Coulter or Phyllis Schlaffley (for instance) -- at least she only gives weird advice on matters of beauty. Below are some choice quotes, but I highly recommend reading about her here.

From Harriet Hubbard Ayer's Beauty Book published in 1899:

"A woman with fairly harmonious features and a double set of perfect, regular and pearl-white teeth freely and frankly displayed in laughing, is fairly certain to be a creature of remarkable mental balance."

"Look out for the snub nose every time, but if you happen to strike it in conjunction with a small rosebud mouth, round nearsighted eyes and tiny shell-like ears, flee for your life, for you have encountered the incarnation of perfidy and cold, treacherous cruelty."


From her bio: "She was no suffragist and no feminist, and in fact facilitated certain myths about beauty, which could be construed today as doing women a disservice. Yet she still sparked the interests and confidence of an emerging class of independent women, encouraging these women to escape from an old pattern of restriction, and hence become more independent."


And finally, check out my new blog here. I'm having a hard time getting in a groove there, creating a tone, etcetera -- I'm sure it will come together eventually, but it's pretty rough at the moment.

1 comment:

keema said...

What did you do to your nanny?! You’re such a blogtease!

And here's a bit of trivia: under Jewish law, breastmilk is considered parve (neither meat nor milk). So if Mrs. Vegan had breastfed, poor little Crown may have been fine. Do you think the Vegans would argue that breastmilk being fed to babies constitutes the "use of animal products"? It just doesn't bear contemplating.