Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I've Fallen Off the Face of the Blogosphere!

Sometimes I like to write well thought out posts that have a story (and maybe even a point now and then), but today I don't really have time to blog well, but I'm going to blog anyway -- I hope you can forgive me.

First, let me say that if you've been thinking, Gosh it's been like six years since Staci has commented on my blog, I AM SORRY!!! I will try to do better, but I'm pretty overwhelmed at the moment.

Second, my new job is going well. But I really need to increase my hours already in order to do a good job, so I've been desperately looking for a childcare arrangement that doesn't annoy me too much. I found a really great person who I liked and who the kids like, and she's come over for a few hours a few days a week. But she doesn't put the food away after the kids eat dinner or wipe off the counters or even put the dishes in the sink or dishwasher (she does clear them off the table, but just puts them on the counter). I really like her, but I don't need yet another person here who I have to clean up after when I get home.

In addition to that I'm taking a writing class about writing "microhistories," which means I have to do research and interview people. It also means in the last two weeks I've read a book about oranges (yes, a whole book -- about oranges) and a book about Cod (I'm not kidding) and this week I'm reading a book about the history of wine, beer, coffee, tea and Coca Cola.

Don't get me wrong, these books are much more interesting to me than they probably sound to you (I was a history major back in the day, after all), but the kind of writing/research required for the class is really stretching me. I'm excited to be learning how to do it, but it's definitely a learning curve and taking the majority of my mental energy.

Plus my husband and kids expect to hang out with me occasionally too -- so that's why I haven't been a very good blogging comrade these days. But I'll be back.

Anyway, enough about me and my so-called "life."

If you haven't seen it already, be sure to check out Snoop Dogg's definition of a "ho" -- Um -- ok, thanks Snoop -- very enlightening.

And with Mother's Day coming up, it's a good time to remember that there are women all over the world who have much more serious issues than dealing with a nanny who doesn't do the dishes. MADRE has some really nice Mothers Day cards, made by women running small businesses in Columbia, that they will send to you or for you if you join. Good organization, good cause.





4 comments:

landismom said...

Thanks for the card link, those are nice.

cce said...

"doesn't put the food away after the kids eat dinner or wipe off the counters or even put the dishes in the sink or dishwasher ... I don't need yet another person here who I have to clean up after when I get home." Wow, you've really captured how I feel about my husband. Hope you find that amazing childcare worker you're looking for and while you're at it, let me know if you find any viable candidates to replace my husband.

Kit said...

It does sound like your life is pretty full. Work and a challenging class on the side - doing the dishes should definitely not be added to the equation!
I've just been catching up on your last few posts and empathise with the getting back to work situation. I'm trying to work from home now doing proofreading and copyediting. Before children I used to work for a travel company, taking people on walking holidays in Italy - not something that I can really pick up again with children added to the mix.
I'm glad you found your niche again and admire your persistance. Good luck with getting the nanny thing running smoothly.

Jill said...

Blogging is the first thing to go isn't it? Good luck getting it all done.

Snoop Dog is a lost cause. But I wouldn't mind Beyonce straightening out Jay-Z on this issue.