Thursday, March 15, 2007

All This and You'll Pay Me Too?

On Monday I read my horoscope and the last sentence said, "You've had your fun, now it's time to get back to work." Monday happens to have been my first day at my new job -- See! Astrology really works!

But seriously. It’s a big story I have to tell – my six months of looking for a job. And I want to tell you all about how I was discriminated against for being a mother and how I was punished for having taken six years out of the workforce. I also want to tell you how impossible it is to find part-time or flexible work options – that is, unless you know somebody. And I want to tell you what I think of Caitlin Flanagan’s assertion that something is “lost” when a mother works – I want to tell you what I’m losing, and I want to tell you about all the things I lost to stay home.

I want to tell you even more than all that – and I will, I promise! But tonight, I’m exhausted, so this will have to do:

First, after six months, not only did I find a job, but it’s even a good-paying, flexible and part-time (until I want to go full time) job, doing something I like with people for whom I have tremendous regard. I really couldn’t have asked for more.

In the “I couldn’t have asked for better” department, let me say that I now have a “househusband” (temporarily) twice a week. The first day I made a meatloaf and left explicit instructions about when to put it in the oven, how to scrub the potatoes and put them in the oven, how to chop the asparagus and sauté it, etcetera. The second day, several times at work I thought to myself, I really should call my husband and tell him what to feed the kids for dinner. But I refrained, and when I got home, he’d gone to the store, bought salmon and baked it. And in addition to three vegetables, he even (God have mercy) served the kids a starch. (This is huge, as my husband believes in only three food groups – meat, vegetables and sugar. Dairy, starch, grains, fruit, etcetera all rank right down there with Snickers bars and Coca Cola in the nutrition department, according to my husband. It is often and with much agitation that I remind him that “a piece of chicken” is not "a meal.”)

He also remembered to comb J’s hair before taking him to school – both days. So life is good. A little busier, but good. Details to follow.

8 comments:

Undercover Angel said...

Congratulations on the fantastic new job! That's great! I'm glad your husband is helping out so much - it lets me know there's still hope for mine...

Kris said...

Congrats! Maybe their IS hope, both for U.A.'s husband and for my writing career. ;)

Anjali said...

Oh, you are so cruel to tempt with snippets and no details!

Seriously, congratulations! It sounds like the perfect job with the perfect balance. I look forward to hearing more about it in future posts!

landismom said...

Sounds like a really great set-up, congratulations. And wow--starch too!

Jill said...

Congratulations! Both on the new job and the domesticated husband.

jennster said...

congrats on the job.. i want to hear about everything else you teased us with!

Audrey said...

I enjoyed your blog!! Found it listed on someone else's blogroll... I will mark this to come back to and read!! Check us out:
http://pinksandbluesgirls.wordpress.com
www.pinksandblues.com
- Audrey

cce said...

You should be very happy that through this unpleasantness, your son learned regret and responsibility for his actions and words and showed that he an have meaningful conversations about feelings of anger and remorse. My seven year old still has outbursts like this but without the sorrow and self flagelation afterward. I've begun thinking he has turned into Judd Nelson's character in The Breakfast Club.