Sunday, November 05, 2006

Vote!

The top three items on my list of "why I like living in Oregon" are:

1. I pay no sales tax

2. I'm not allowed to pump my own gas

3. I'm only allowed to vote by mail

Actually, I'm kidding about the first one... it is handy to not have to pay sales tax when shopping, but not so much when it comes time to pay income and property taxes. But since I'm the only person in Oregon (LITERALLY!) who thinks a sales tax is a good idea...

Ooops... Sorry for the tangent. Here's what I really wanted to post about: It is time to vote! And it could be an important election year, though I'm sort of a pessimist, so I'm not all that excited yet. It didn't help when I read this article saying that typically only about 40 percent of the population vote in a non-presidential election year.

I also wanted to point anyone who missed to Lisa Stone's post on BlogHer that had some great links for finding non-partisan information on issues and candidates.

You matter, so be heard!

7 comments:

Jan B said...

My daughter lives in Alaska and not only do they not have to pay local or state income tax or sales tax, but they get a dividend from the pipeline, which is called the Alaska Permanent Fund, about $2000 a year for each man, woman and child.

Thanks for the reminder to VOTE!

Wendy said...

I love voting by mail, but I hate that even though I voted 2 weeks ago, I still have to see a bazillion political ads everytime I turn on the tv or read the newspaper.

mad muthas said...

not allowed to pump you own gas? what on EARTH is that all about?

Jill said...

Check.

I would so love not to pass my own gas. Maybe Minnesota could work on some kind of constitutional amendment for that.

Jill said...

OMG. Did I really say PASS my own gas???? I swear that was a typo.

PunditMom said...

Wow! I LOVE numbers 2 and 3! I might have to move to Oregon! (And, yes, I voted!)

MommyWithAttitude said...

MadMuthas -- Oregon is pro-employment! So we pay people to pump gas here...

Jill --- Hilarious! Good luck finding someone to pass your gas for you!