Wednesday, November 29, 2006

New Book Review for New Agey Catholic Types

I just posted a review of Hail Mary and Rhythmic Breathing: A New Way of Praying the Rosary by Richard Galentino at Blogcritics. I picked this to review because I was intrigued by the title (being the religious nut that Fresh Mommy says I always make myself sound like on this blog).

It turned out to be an interesting book about meditation and prayer, among other things, and I was all set to try out some of the recommendations. From the title I expected I might toss up a Hail Mary or two while performing a Downward Dog, but it turned out to be a little more complex than that.

One of the suggestions I did try was walking for exercise while practicing meditative deep breathing. But then suddenly a Rhododendron burst into flames and announced “Staci, this is God speaking, don’t be ridiculous! You are not in good enough shape to do this.”

Either that or I passed out, I’m not sure which... it's all rather a blur now.

So I didn’t have much luck with it, but if you’re into that sort of thing, check out my review here.

6 comments:

Jill said...

A Rhododendron burst into flames for you?! Better start looking for the stigmata, Staci.

mad muthas said...

walking while meditating? sounds tricky to me. i'd probably have fallen over - i mean, been overcome by the holy spirit.

Fresh Mommy said...

But you're my *favorite* religious nut.

I had the same exact experience, except instead of a rhododendron, it was a holly bush, and instead of God, it was a couple of punks from the neighborhood. And instead of "you're not in good enough shape" it was "keep walking, Fatty!"

Mary Kathryn said...

Rythmymic breathing is part and parcel of Green Catholic and Green Orthodox prayer of the Jesus Prayer, Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me a sinner." Just doesn't work in English, isn't necessary.

But to jump light years into territory forbidden as syncretism (see vatican's Jesus Christ Water of Life, inter alia) is to invite entanglement with the occult forces. I'd run for my life from this book, its concepts and authors. Have seen far too many "believable liars" out there teaching good people things that will lead to their damnation if the people do not heed grace. Not everyone who wears a cute little habit and talks softly while name dropping "St. John of the Cross" is trustworthy.

Dana said...

I so need to read this book! I'm Catholic, too! It would be interesting to see the fresh take on this.

Mommy off the Record said...

I didn't know there were books for new agey Catholics. I'm Catholic and I'm intereseted in all the new agey stuff, so this is very cool.