Thursday, September 28, 2006

Boxes, Boxes Everywhere...

Well we have moved! Here is my new living room…

And yes, it still looks like that even though we’ve been here for a week. In my defense, let me point out that all the work I have done, I’ve done without the benefit of a TV to occupy the kids. (note to self: next move, hooking up TV is priority one) I did try to plug it in myself and get it to work (my husband is generally the television hooker-uper), but couldn’t get any reception. All the while the kids were whining/shouting, “Mama! Mama! Put something on!”

When my husband called home I said, “I did that ‘search for channels by antennae’ option, and it just keeps saying we have an unusable signal.”

And he said, “Hhmmm… so you managed to find the antenna in all that mess, huh?”

Antenna? OHHHHH! I needed an antenna to plug in, in order to search for reception? Ooops.
At least the back yard is in relatively decent shape. Try not to notice that sans television I had to resort to letting the kids stand on things which are not sturdy or safe while wielding long, sharp objects over their heads in order to get things done.

Did you see the Halloween decorations sitting out in my new "living room?" Since August J had been begging me to get out the “Halloween Box,” and I’d been telling him that we didn’t need more stuff to pack, so he’d have to wait until we moved. Well… he really took that to heart and while my husband was unloading, J harassed him until he found the Halloween box. As if it’s not aggravating enough having a bunch of stuff strewn around that really doesn’t belong anywhere during a holiday when the house is otherwise neat and organized… But the kids adore them. That’s the important thing, right?

The witches, however, were required to remain in the box and banished back to the garage. Which reminds me, I finally decided we simply could not go another minute with (literally) no food in the house. On the way to the store J begged and cajoled me until I agreed that they could get a Halloween toy. So the entire time I was picking out produce, he was saying, “Maaaamaaaa! We neeeeeed to find the Halloween toys!”

Over.

And over.

And over.

And…

Until I said in my most quiet angry voice, “J… if you bug Mama about it one more time, we are not getting anything… we will pick out a toy when we get to where they are!”

When we finally got to the toy section, I started turning on all the dancing skeletons on motorcycles and the singing chicken in a pirate costume, and J completely flipped out. “TURN THOSE OFF! I DON’T WANT ONE! I DON’T WANT ANY!”

Luckily we found some skulls that didn’t “talk,” so that’s what he picked. Oh, wait, I thought they didn’t talk. On the way home I was blabbing away to J and he said, “Mama, could you be quiet please, my skull is talking to me right now.”

And last but not least, because Verizon is evil (EVIL!!!!), I’m blogging using a dial up connection. And here you thought I didn’t seem very dedicated to this blogging thing as of late…

Coming soon, I have many stories and a ton of things to review: a novel about nudist balloonists, a novel told from the point of view of a suicide bomber, an independent video trashing fast food, and more. Much more, so check back soon!

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Is this the old or the new?

Boxes stress me out. You are a brave woman to move AND pack the stuff up to take it with you AND (I suspect) unpack it again, and still remember you have a blog. Way to go you!

Mary Tsao said...

dial up?! Say it ain't so!

Your living room of boxes is giving me a flashback. Good luck to you!

Fresh Mommy said...

Welcome back and happy unpacking! I can't imagine moving without the assistance of a grandmother to keep the little ones occupato. Can't wait to see more pictures of the house! Backyard looks lovely!

Melissa said...

Okay, so I commented in the middle of the night when there were pictures but no words. Possibly I need to sleep more and read people's blogs when they, you know, finish a post.

MommyWithAttitude said...

Funny Melissa, sorry it takes me forever to finish a blog post with pictures...

MommyWithAttitude said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ann D said...

I recognize that decor! It kind of looks like my office -- in transition! :-)

Good luck with the unpacking.