Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Women of Rastafari

I just reviewed Roots Daughters: The Women of Rastafari at Blogcritics.

It's a contemporary women’s, ethnic, religious and political history all rolled into one. Be still my heart!

When I finished watching it, instead of feeling like I knew so much about Rastafarianism, I just felt like I wanted to know more and since this is a mommy blog and all, I thought some people here would be interested in this study I found. Essentially, rural Jamaican women who use marijuana tend to be more educated and more financially independent than those who don’t. And even though they continue to use marijuana while pregnant and breastfeeding, their babies score higher on alertness tests than babies of mothers who are less educated and less financially independent, even though they don’t smoke. I’m not drawing any grand conclusions or anything, just thought it was interesting.

6 comments:

Pendullum said...

I'm off to read the link...

Kristen said...

That is really interesting! I once saw a study that using marijuana throughout your life increases your chances of having an ADD child, but I'm not sure how much I believe that.

crazymumma said...

Interesting....it seems counterintuitive, but the worls is so full of surprises...

The Quarter-LIfe Chronicler said...

Interesting study you site. It's funny, because now there are studies in North America that say women should take materna vitamins even when they're not planning to have kids, just in case they conceive. I just blogged about it, and let me tell you, I think we place too much of a burden on women when it comes to the health of children today. We expect them to look after babies they aren't even planning to conceive yet!

Jenn said...

I'm just replying because you said I looked 20 yrs old and I think I love you now LOL! My blog picture was taken this summer, at the grand old age of 36, and I am going blond for the first time (gradually, so as not to have all my hair fall out). Plus I want to see if they really do have more fun. It's a social experiment - I'll probably blog about it in the future....
On topic - I've never smoked MJ, but the only conclusion I can make is that it makes you a shitty neighbour, because I've had some neighbours that did. And they were shitty. This is based on a sample of 3 shitty people and is highly accurate I'm sure within a margin of error of +/- 92%. My current neighbours on one side are great, and the neighbour on the other side is lovely and elderly - with horrible kids that come to visit, but that's not all that often.

Mary Tsao said...

Interesting study. I liked your review, too. It gave me enough information but didn't give me too much. I'm interested to see the movie although I believe I'll come to the same conclusion you did as I'm not at all knowledgeable about Rastafarianism.