Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Aftermath

Happy Easter, He is Risen, Alleluia, and all that… or as my kids say, “Happy We-Got-To-Eat-Candy-For-Breakfast Day!”

It seems I’ve failed to give my kids any indication that Easter is the most important Christian holiday. At Christmas I struggled with what to tell them about Santa because… you know we’re talking about St. Nicholas and saints aren’t people who live at the North Pole. So we really didn’t do any of that, “you’d better be good if you want Santa to come” or “Santa sees you when you’re sleeping” (kinda creepy, no?) stuff.

But evidently the Easter Bunny is a whole other ball of wax. Just the other day I heard my husband say, “Maybe if you can’t follow directions the Easter Bunny won’t even come at all.” And then Saturday night I heard myself (shout), “Everyone had better go to sleep right away if they want the Easter Bunny to come tonight!”

You know you’ve become a pathetic sap when you start relying on the Easter Bunny to be the disciplinarian at your house.

What’s worse is that even though we all ate our body weight in candy yesterday (and again today!) I still have several unopened bags of Easter candy. As we were filling up the eggs to hide my husband just kept furrowing his brow and wondering aloud, “I don’t understand why we have so much candy.”

Here’s why. As a matter of course I wait until the last minute to do everything and this year I thought it would be a good idea to plan ahead for a change. So a month or so ago I bought all kinds of candy, books, toys and plastic eggs and hid them in my closet. But old habits die hard, so when I suddenly realized it was “almost Easter” I panicked and bought everything in a pastel wrapper I could find at the grocery store.

So here we are. On the bright side, should a disaster occur (natural or otherwise) we have enough calories here to sustain us for a good two to three years. But still, next year I should probably return to method-procrastination. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Wendy said...

We bought it and then ate it, so I had to make a frantic rush to buy more candy, but everything was completely gone by that point, so the kids were stuck with non-festive candy.

Anjali said...

Well, we proudly use the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus as disciplinarians. They're effective, don't charge a whole lot, and are far more consistent than mom and dad!

Praying for your Prodigal said...

It's good to prepared for the unexpected! Glad you had a great Easter!

Blessings!

Diane

Jenn said...

Hey - how did you sneak a listening device into my house?
We made the same idle threats about the bunny not coming to little boys who don't GO TO BED!
With grandparents spoiling them too - they got so much chocolate, they got chocolate that they don't yet know about. After 3 days of sugar induced chaos - I'm determined that next year the easter bunny is going to bring jewellery for mummy and oh, I don't know socks and underwear for the kids.

Big Orange said...

wow, that's an impressive aftermath! 'Course, I THINK we might have y'all beat, but I could be wrong: I was too afraid to actually photograph it.

It IS interesting that the two biggest celebrations in the Christian calendar are STILL really tightly wrapped up with early fertility symbols AND, apparently, an excuse to eat chocolate (or drink it, as the case may be). I'm taking notes on what life will be like this year when my kids get old enuff to "get it" about the Bunny comin' to town.

Redneck Nerdboy! said...

After Easter and Christmas, we usually just unwrap all the candy and throw it in a pot, then melt it down to form a giant hodge-podge ball of sugar and chocolate that everyone hacks a little off every now and then. Keeps the trash down and the candy organized!

I think I got a peice of licorice in my hunk today!