Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Nutrition, Catholicism and Immigration... Oh My!

I know this is an eclectic mix of items for one post, but I couldn't pick just one today.

First, there’s a New York Times Op-Ed this morning by Cardinal Mahoney regarding an anti-illegal immigration bill. I’m just tickled because it’s not often that I have the opportunity to read something in the mainstream media that makes me proud to be Catholic. So thank you Cardinal Mahoney for taking a stand against injustice, and thank you to the New York Times for publishing it.

On a much lighter note, there’s a piece on AOL diets (I read a lot about dieting… not to be confused with doing a lot of dieting) about the evil of trans-fat. I’m really glad that trans-fat is getting all this negative attention because I’d like to once again buy graham crackers without feeling guilty. I was thrilled when Skippy started making a peanut butter with no hydrogenated oils, but with Palm Oil instead so it still tastes like yummy peanut butter and not that heinous kind that you have to stir and refrigerate. But according to the AOL article Palm Oil and Coconut Oil (which are the healthiest substitutes and also provide the same baking properties as Crisco) are also bad. She says we should stick to what “Mother Nature” has provided. Who, if not Mother Nature, does she suppose created coconuts and palms? Or even lard, for that matter? Saturated fats provide valuable nutrients for growing children. Coconut Oil is particularly good for vegan children who don’t get the benefits of any animal fats at all. Please just get rid of all the chemicals and non-foods in our packaged foods and leave the healthy fats alone!

And finally, the best news of the day, it’s healthy to drink up to 40 ounces (!!!!) of coffee per day according to nutritionists. Oh, but (ooops) the article specifies it’s not so good if you need 20 ounces of cream and sugar to gulp down with it. So I guess I’d better keep trying (cheating this morning even as I type this) to stick to my “two-cups-a-day” rule for now. At least until I can fit into my summer clothes.

The same article says that those “energy drinks” are as bad for you as soda. My husband drinks a lot of those and it worries me because no good can really come of drinking that garbage. But then I’m looking at my desk right now that has a mug full of dark chocolates, a mug full of milk chocolates and a mug full of my third mocha, so it would be rather unbecoming of me to harass him about his energy drinks just because they don’t fit my idea of a “good” junk food. It’s true I eat my share of junk… and I acknowledge that all the time. But I don't just eat anything, I'm highly selective in my bad food choices. In fact, yesterday while shopping J. was looking for a treat (I said he could pick one), and he said to me, “They probably just have a bunch of crap down that aisle.”

Now I'm pleased that I'm raising a good food critic (well he chose a milk chocolate bar with tiny M&Ms in it, so maybe he's not too good yet), but perhaps I should watch how I express myself at the grocery store.

6 comments:

Anjali said...

Staci, I'm fairly certain that any day now, chocolates will be heralded as the fifth food group. Also, have you tried Peanut Butter & Co. brand peanut butter? It truly is delicious (I LOVE their crunchy peanut butter in particular), and I'm someone who hates Crazy Richards and the like.

Mom Nancy said...

I've become so much more aware of nutrition since I started taking a weight loss class at the Y. I'd love to find a peanut butter that is still good AND not full of junk.

By the way, it is nice to read something that DOESN'T force you to tell your non-Catholic friends, "Not all Catholics are like that."

Christine D. said...

Ahhhhhhhhh, my morning cup of coffee tastes better already. I'm looking forward to my second and third without guilt!

I used to be able to work 10-12 hour days and get up and have decaf in the morning. Not anymore! Caring for your little ones requires a healthy dose of caffeine everyday. Thanks for the update.

Jenn said...

It's truly a shame that you don't get Kraft Peanut Butter in the States.
It has 5 essential nutrients, 0 trans fat, cholesterol free, and oddly enough tastes better than Jif or Skippy or whatever is popular down there. (probably 95% Canadians use kraft pb- actually probably 100%, but I can't discount the loony's who use that natural crap). It does have hydrogenated vegetable oil, and soybean oil, but really when you are spreading it on your Wonder white bread, it really doesn't matter as long as it tastes divine. which it does.

MommyWithAttitude said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

In Canada, Kraft peanut butter was ruined along with Skippy when they started removing the peanut oil and replacing it with grassy tasting soybean oil. I find it bizarre that anyone would even claim to like that taste. Try a bottle of Peter Pan or JIF and compare.