Monday, January 09, 2006

What I've Been Reading

Are Men Necessary? by Maureen Dowd:

If you go to my website on a regular basis you may have noticed that I finally gave up and just removed the "Coming Soon" sign on the book review page. I had every intention of reviewing this book, but then I read so many other reviews of it and really have nothing to add. To recap the reviews you may have already seen, it's a fun glimpse into the life of the rich and famous, it's entertaining (as Maureen Dowd usually is), but there's not a whole lot to it beyond that. Oh, and yes! men are necessary- I just checked with my husband and he confirmed my suspicion.


The Truth Behind the Mommy Wars by Miriam Peskowitz:

I really appreciate Miriam Peskowitz's scholarship, her hard work on behalf of all mothers and her attention to all classes and ethnicities. If you don't already, you can keep up with her work on her blog.


total180! Magazine:

I actually just finished reading it, and I'm going to write a full review of it so I can be fair. Stay tuned.


Am I a Woman by Cynthia Eller:

You can read an excerpt of this here. I'm not really that "into" gender theory. I've always felt like (and been glad to be) a girl, and I've never been willing to date men who wear cologne or jewelry. I'm just kind of old-fashioned that way I guess. But when I stumbled across this, it was too funny not to read, and it was interesting too.




The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory by Cynthia Eller:

You can read an excerpt of this here. I haven't gotten to read this one yet, but I was just thrilled to find a real live feminist (and a scholar, no less) who agrees with me that pregnant Goddess figurines are not an indication that women were running the show before the dastardly monotheistic religions came along and "invented" war and other atrocities against women and children.

At risk of making it obvious to everyone how I became an extra-curricular philosopher rather than a scientist, here's my analysis: It has always seemed to me that the patriarchal religions that developed likely mirrored what was already going on, not revolutionized it. Not to mention the size/strength factor and the way that pregnancy, lactation and caring for small children (the general inability to control one's fertility) sort of limit one's options (even in this "enlightened" age). I'm looking forward to reading this research, and I might revisit the topic here when I'm done.


Happy reading!

3 comments:

Anjali said...

I loved The Truth Behind the Mommy Wars as well, and was priviledged enough to meet Miriam and have her as our featured speaker at our Mothers & More Open House. What a woman!

Sandy said...

Hey, you're reading a lot of the same stuff I am. You might like "Our Inner Ape", by Frans de Waal - I just finished that and it gives a totally different perspective on sex differences.

Staci said...

Thanks for the suggestion Sandy. It looks interesting, I'll check it out.