Monday, December 19, 2005

Merry $&%#-ing Christmas!



I just remembered today why I hate the holidays. Pictured above are the gingerbread cookies we made. I'll go ahead and blame the kids for how unfortunate they turned out, but if we're being honest here... I couldn't have done much better myself. So I just turn them loose and let them have fun. Then I let them eat as many as they want... what else will I do, put them in a cookie tin and give it to the neighbors?

But I'm actually feeling Holiday-inadequate today, because Christmas is five days away and I don't have my cards in the mail. The reason for the delay is I thought it would be a good idea to do our family Christmas photo ourselves at home. It wasn't.

Out of about twenty-five pictures, only one was relatively decent. And I'm not kidding about the "relatively" part. It turns out that my 4-year-old thought it would be fun to have a "mad face" in the pictures, unbeknownst to us until we were finished. After being annoyed briefly my husband and I admitted that it was kind of funny, and it was also typical of his personality.

So I cropped and red-eyed and glowed until it was just about perfect (aside from what appears to be my extra chin), saved it on a disc and took it to the store to print twenty-eight copies. I was quickly inserting them into my Christmas cards (hoping to get them in the mail today) when I noticed that the top of my husband's head is missing from the printed version.

So what am I doing to remedy the situation? Blogging. And eating potato chips. I'm also planning to cry just as soon as I can get hold of my husband or mother (it's no fun to cry alone). But I won't say "Bah Humbug" just yet. I'll save that for later in the week when we're travelling for ten hours by car and by plane... Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Christine D. said...

Oh the dreaded Christmas photo! I, too, decided it was better to take the pictures at home, and, in doing so, took about 200 pictures, from which I managed to extract one good photo (just try to make a one year old sit still under the Christmas tree, smile, AND look at the camera -- I have about 199 lovely pictures of the top, back, and sides of her adorable head). But, somehow, I managed to get my cards out and resolved to start earlier next year, and maybe even to leave the job to a professional. (Sigh...)

keema said...

Those cookies look fine to me! And even if they're too tough or kid-spit laden to eat, I'm sure that Santa will appreciate them. Or a starving parent at 3 am Christmas morning. Whichever.

And poo on people who find your Christmas picture anything less than fabulous. Surely we can infer that your husband has a whole head, since he isn't in the ICU?

Merry Christmas!

Anjali said...

Oh, Staci, this gave me such a laugh. We have ALL been there. Best of luck next year.